Veteran’s Center



Veterans Services provides resources to service members and their families to utilize education benefits and other campus support services to assist students in their education goals. Whether you are actively serving in the military, a veteran, military spouse and/or dependent, Veterans Services is ready to serve you! 

Pine Technical & Community College is committed to providing service members and their families with personalized one on one assistance to apply for education benefits, evaluate military credits for transfer, provide academic degree planning with priority registration, and to provide referrals to students who may benefit from additional campus resources. 

Types of Military Education Benefits

Montgomery GI Bill which provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans.   

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) provides education benefits to veterans that have a service-related disability.   

Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for housing and education to eligible veterans.  


Survivors and Dependents Education benefits which can provide up to 45 months of education benefits to eligible dependents. 

The Minnesota GI Bill provides assistance to eligible Minnesota Veterans, National Guard, and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001 and eligible spouses and children. Students are required to have a completed FAFSA on file for the academic year they are utilizing MN GI Bill funds. 

VA certifying Official

Molly McCann serves at PTCC’s Veterans Certifying Official and oversees the VA Educational Benefits at PTCC.   

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). PTCC’s Financial Aid Office certifies students to the VA to receive benefits. A student must be admitted to the college and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program to be certified for veteran’s education benefits. PTCC requires students who would like their credits certified by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to complete a Request for Credit Certification when the student has finished registering for courses for an upcoming term. Students are also required to notify the VA Certifying Official any time changes are made to that schedule. 

Stacey Rhodes, LGSW
Tel: 218-722-8654
E-mail: stacey.rhodes*AT*

Charles Egerstrom, LGSW
Tel: 763-433-1113 
E-mail: charles.egerstrom*AT* 

Veterans Education Transfer System

With the Veterans Education Transfer System, veterans can more easily determine when they can earn college credits for military training. The online service helps veterans and members of the armed forces identify whether their military training counts for college credits in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system (MnSCU).

Known as the Veterans Education Transfer System, the service is believed to be the first of its kind in the country. “Hundreds of military jobs can lead to civilian careers with some additional education,” said MnSCU Chancellor James McCormick. “In the past, veterans have often found it difficult to know whether the training they receive in the military can count for college credit. We want to help veterans build on the excellent training they receive in the military by awarding appropriate credits and allowing them to complete a college program more quickly.” 

Information about military credit transfer options can be found at, a section of the MnSCU website that has consolidated information about programs and services for veterans. To determine whether military credits can be accepted for transfer, veterans and service members can use the new service to match military occupational specialty codes with programs offered by MnSCU and get estimates of the number of credits that could be awarded for that military occupation. Information about wages and job outlook is also provided. 

Credits for military training are awarded using guidelines established by the American Council on Education, a coordinating association of higher education institutions. Currently, the transfer system can identify awardable credits for military training in four large occupational areas – law enforcement, diesel and truck mechanics, administrative and human resource assistants and paramedics. More occupational areas, such as health care, will be added to the system as they are reviewed and deemed appropriate for transfer. 

Your Next Opportunity Awaits