North Star Promise Scholarship
Beginning in Fall 2024, the North Star Promise (NSP) Scholarship program will create a tuition and fee-free pathway to higher education for eligible Minnesota Residents at eligible institutions. The NSP scholarship is considered a “last-dollar” program by covering the balance of tuition and fees remaining after other scholarships, grants, stipends, and tuition waivers have been applied.
By making college accessible and affordable, NSP is intended to have a positive impact on multiple fronts:
- Help stabilize enrollment at Minnesota public institutions of higher education;
- Serve as an economic driver for Minnesota by educating qualified workers who are much needed to fill vacancies in the state’s labor force;
- Create a viable higher education path for Minnesota residents who may have previously thought education was not a possibility for them.
We estimate this program will impact 15,000-20,000 students in the first academic year.
Eligible students must:
- Be a Minnesota resident
- Have a family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) below $80,000 (FAFSA or MN Dream Act application)
- Attend a Minnesota public higher education institution or Tribal College
- Not be in default on a state or federal student loan
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards
- Have not already earned a baccalaureate degree
- Be enrolled in a program or course of study that applies to a degree, diploma, or certificate
**This information was originally published in the Minnesota Office of Higher Education Monthly News Update for June 2023.